The Jagdpanzer 38(t) was developed in early 1944 by the Böhmisch-Märische Maschinenfabrik factory in occupied Czechoslovakia.
The design was based on their LT vz.38 tank, which the Germans had adopted as the Panzer 38(t). Its small size made it easy to conceal, but also meant the crew inside were cramped and struggled to operate it effectively. Today they are popularly known as Hetzers, but this name was far less common at the time.
Most Jagdpanzer 38(t)s were used by anti-tank companies in infantry divisions. These units had very few other vehicles and limited mobility. Crews would hide and camouflage their Jagdpanzers then use them to ambush advancing Allied tanks.
The Jagdpanzer 38(t)’s 75mm PaK 39 gun was powerful and effective against all Allied tanks, although its thin armour meant it was very vulnerable to their return fire.
The Tank Museum’s Jagdpanzer 38(t)
The Tank Museum’s Jagdpanzer 38(t) was built by BMM in late 1944. Its Chassis Number is 322111. It came to The Tank Museum in 1951 along with a large number of captured German vehicles.