We are delighted to announce the winners of our lookalike competition.
We asked tank fans to send in photos of themselves dressed up as either Sgt Oddball, Donald Sutherland’s character from the film Kelly’s Heroes, or Tank Girl from the graphic novels of the same name.
We received a brilliant response and the winners of the competition are Johnnie Ball as Sgt Oddball from Kelly’s Heroes and the Tank Girl Winner is Rachel Anthony-Rowlands.
The two chosen winners will open the exhibition, and the other highly commended entries have been invited to attend the opening and will be among the first to see the new exhibition.
Head of Marketing Nik Wyness said: “The exhibition represents something of a change from our recent additions, which have focused on conflict and the experiences of the solider.
“This exhibition has been created to mark the centenary year of The Tank Museum and aims to recognise the cultural impact of the tank since its appearance in 1916.
“Tanks have played a large role in popular culture and whether it’s through film, games, toys or in the media, this element of their history is of great interest and importance.
“Visitors will recognise tanks from the Fury and Warhorse films, as well as the iconic photo of the Tiananmen Square incident in China of the protestor standing in front of a tank.
“And for others, names like ‘Dinky’, ‘Airfix’, ‘Action Man’ and ‘Victor’ will create a sense of nostalgia for childhood days and times gone by.”
Exhibitions have been opened by royalty or VIPs in the past, but for this exhibition The Tank Museum looked to popular culture for inspiration.
“Two fictional characters tied to tank culture are Sgt Oddball and Tank Girl – and we thought it fitting that they should open the exhibition on Thursday 30 March at the Tank Museum,” said Nik.
- The competition is being run by The Tank Museum
- By entering the competition you are agreeing to these terms and conditions. The Tank Museum reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to eliminate or disqualify any entries or entrants that it regards as being in breach of these terms and conditions.
- The Tank Museum reserves the right to cancel the competition or amend these terms and conditions at any time, without prior notice.
- The decisions of The Tank Museum are final and binding in all matters relating to the competition and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The competition is open to those aged 18+.
- In entering the competition, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim any prize you may win.
- A maximum of one entry per individual per category is permitted.
How to enter
- The entrant must submit two photographs of themselves in costume to: [email protected]
- At least one of these images must include the face of the entrant.
- Any entries that The Tank Museum considers to be vulgar, offensive will be disqualified.
- Entries are to be accepted up to and including 20th March 2023.
- The winners will be invited to the opening event for the Tank for the Memories: The Tank in Popular Culture exhibition on 30 March, at The Tank Museum, Bovington.
- The specific details of this will be confirm in due course, but the winners must agree to being filmed and photographed by invited media for promotional purposes at the event. These photographs could be used on websites, social media, in magazines and newspapers, etc.
- The winner will be judged and selected by a panel of Tank Museum employees.
- The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternatives will be offered.
- We reserve the right to substitute prizes if circumstances beyond our control make it necessary to do so.
- Travel to The Tank Museum will be at the winner’s expense.
- The winner will be announced on The Tank Museum’s social media channels on 21 March 2023.
- Additional selected entrants may be offered the opportunity to enter The Tank Museum for free (in costume) on the 30 March 2023. Only one free space is allotted per competition entrant. Free entry tickets do not include an Annual Pass.
- The winners will be contacted by the email provided in their entry.
- If the winner does not respond to the messages notifying them of their win within 3 days of receipt, they will lose their right to the prize, and The Tank Museum reserves the right to choose and notify a new winner.
- It is the responsibility of the entrant to provide correct, up-to-date details when entering the prize promotion and acceptance of the prize. The Tank Museum cannot be held responsible for winners failing to supply accurate information which affects prize acceptance or delivery of their prize.
Data protection and publicity
- You consent to any personal information you provide in entering the competition being used by The Tank Museum the purposes of administering the prize draw.
- The winner agrees to the use of their entry on The Tank Museum’s social media channels. Each entrant grants The Tank Museum a world-wide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty free and sub-licensable right and licence to use reproduce, modify, adapt, publish or display (in whole or in part) any intellectual property contained in the content of their entry, without royalty, payment or other compensation.
Limitation of Liability
- The Tank Museum does not accept any liability for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrants as a result of either participating in the prize draw or being selected for a prize.
- The Tank Museum does not provide any form of practical or IT support for this prize.